Sunday, January 13, 2013

Rooibos Tea: An Unheard of Protector of Youth

I just had my first sip of Rooibos Tea from Ghealth and how I love the brew! The health benefit is another story though, and so I did my own research.
Stumbling upon a post like this is quite rare. Here, I was able to find published and peer-reviewed articles that justify why you should get a cupful of Rooibos tea now.

The health benefits of rooibos tea seem to be mostly due to the flavonoids aspalathin and nothofagin, although other compounds in rooibos may also play a part. Here's a summary of the benefits:

  • Acts as an antioxidant and increases SOD levels
  • Prevents DNA damage
  • Cardiovascular protection through ACE inhibition
  • Suppresses fasting glucose levels
  • Improves glucose uptake and insulin secretion after a meal
  • Aids in liver tissue regeneration
  • Lowers blood pressure
  • Acts as a bronchodilator and antispasmodic
  • Inhibits lipid peroxidation and brain aging
  • Rooibos extract improves immune defects such as HIV

No comments: